Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Homegrown Revolution

Feel like you could use a little inspiration before tackling all those weeds today? Watch this trailer and tell me if it doesn't make you want to go out and dig in the dirt.
Homegrown Revolution (2008) is a film short that gives a brief introduction to the Dervaes Family's urban homestead which they call "Path to Freedom." On this tiny city lot, a beautiful and productive oasis was created, producing 6,000 lbs of food annually and is a model of urban sustainability. Their goal is 10,000 lbs. That's POUNDS, Bootcampers. On 1/10th acre. Whoa. Those who know me know that we desperately want acreage. And there's nothing wrong with that! But contentment is about growing where you are planted. If I can't go to the country, how about bringing the country to me?







Homegrown Revolution (Trailer) from Path to Freedom on Vimeo.

For more inspiration, visit their family of websites and blogs: Little Homestead in the City, Path to Freedom, Freedom Gardens, Peddler's Wagon, and Dervaes Gardens.
And then get to work!


Photobucket

4 comments:

Barbara said...

I posted a link on my blog Heidi! Great job with the "bling" ;-)

Kaele said...

What a fun garden! Probably a lot of hard work, but super fun to see!

Wow! Thanks for sharing that!

Carla said...

This is so inspiring! I wonder how I can make this work in zone 2...

Heidi Schaap said...

Carla, have you read Eliot Coleman's book, Four-Season Harvest? He's from Maine, so I think it would be comparable.
Here's some video of him speaking about his all-year gardens:
http://www.chelseagreen.com/content/video-four-season-farming-with-eliot-coleman/

HTH