Friday, July 31, 2009

Swiff Your Troubles Away

Last Cleaning Day, I wrote about some safe and natural cleaning solutions, made with products you might already have at home. Now, while these materials still have to be purchased every once in a while, they're much more inexpensive than the fancy name-brand-one-job supplies the big chemical companies sell.

 Creating these homemade recipes was a big step in my "independence from convenience". Was I ready to take the next big step? (Here's a hint. 99% of my house is tile or hardwood floor.) You guessed it. I need a bumper sticker that reads I HEART MY SWIFFER.

 I really do love it. If only I had invented that clever little dust-mop replacement! No more dust in the air! No more dog hair under the couch! Even my two-year old can use it safely! What's not to love? The fact that I had to buy a box of replacement pads every week, that's what.

 But a year or so ago, one of my friends shared a most clever (not to mention cute) craftie with me: a homemade Swiffer cover. You can knit or crochet it using inexpensive cotton yarn. Or, if you don't know how, buy one from an amazing woman who does. (Just drop her a line and she'll custom-make your cover!) I am not personally coordinated enough to knit, but can crochet just well enough to produce a cute swiffer cover! http://crafterella.blogspot.com/2008/12/knitted-swiffer-cover.html

Knitted Swiffer cover:

http://erica.brembos.googlepages.com/KPZoom.pdf

http://greenmountainmama.blogspot.com/2007/09/swiffer-cozy-pattern.html

Crocheted Swiffer Cover:

http://gherkinsbucket.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/biffershrug.pdf

http://www.tiffcrochets.com/patterns/SwifferCardi.pdf


 No money in the budget for this project, but love the idea of NOT spending more money on Swiffer cloths? Use old flannel diapers, thin fleece, flannel remnants with finished edges (hubby's old flannel boxer shorts work great!), old t-shirts, towels or baby receiving blankets. Just cut them to size, making sure to leave room to tuck the edges in, and you're ready to swiff! (The store-bought version is about 11" x 9").
Even an old, mismatched or holey sock will work...just pull in on one end, and hook the ankle around the other. Store-bought microfiber cloths work very well, too, but are, of course, more expensive.

Helpful hint: When washing homemade covers, rinse off residual yuck, then launder. This is especially important if you line dry. The dryer will pull any leftover hair or dust bunnies, but the breeze in your backyard won't!)

I know what you're all thinking:  "Come one, Heidi, is this really worth the effort?" Well, I'm big on not producing waste if I don't have to. And besides, I'm sure I can find SOMEWHERE to spend an extra $300 a year. :)

Have fun being clean and crafty!
Now get to work!!



Photobucket

1 comment:

Carla said...

Thanks for sharing this! I can't crochet my way out of a bag but I did put aside 2 diapers that I decided weren't mendable...this looks like a perfect use for them. My swiffer has been sitting unused as of late, so I'm pleased to read this :-)