Friday, April 16, 2010

Are you Dressed?

I recently came across the "Get Dressed" Challenge  from Sarah Mae over at Like a Warm Cup of Coffee, and my first thought (after peeking out my front window and thinking "I hope people aren't walking around naked out there!) was to hang my head in momentary shame. I acknowledge that sometimes I am frumpy. There, I said it. Knowing is half the battle.

I am always encouraging you Bootcampers to work hard, clean hard, make the best use of your time, and to infuse beauty into your homes everywhere, as these things glorify God. But what about ME? Does my personal appearance glorify God? No, I'm not implying that one must be a size 4 with fancy shoes and a new coat of paint to please Him. I'm very simple when it comes to looks. But simple can still be a blessing to those around you. Foregoing the comb, soap or toothbrush is not simple. It's simply lazy.

I happen to be in that awkward "losing weight and nothing fits" phase, and it shows. It's hard not to be frumpy when your clothes don't fit well. But I know I'm not honoring my husband when I dress frumpily. How can I fix it? What's my plan?

1. I don't need to buy a new wardrobe. I need to purchase a few, simple quality pieces (on sale, preferably with free shipping!) to tide me over until the next 20 pounds come off. I am probably kidding myself if I say that I won't see this number on the scale again...we love babies and hope to have many more of them. So these clothes can be put away (soon, I hope!) and used again if I need them (or passed along to a friend!)

2. I can buy colors that are flattering, that make me happy, and that are easy to mix and match. I love wearing pink. I love wearing black. That should just about make up my wardrobe. But when I'm out and see something in a random print and it's on SUPER CLEARANCE, I'll think "It's so cheap. I'll try and make it work." Mostly, it works by taking up space in my closet. I need to PURGE what is stained, ripped, and doesn't look good (the wrong size, the wrong style, the wrong color, or the wrong fit) and replenish my wardrobe with items that meet my criteria. You don't have to shop at Macy's, ladies. It takes a little time, but even thrift stores can be wonderful places to find these items if you're patient. (Want some inspiration? Check out the Frugal Fashionista.)

3. I can wear an apron. I love aprons. Many ladies wear scroungy lounge wear around the home because they are afraid of ruining their clothes. That's understandable, but if you're home most of the time, then your family is seeing you in that scroungy lounge wear most of the time. Is it blessing them? Wear simple, classic clothes and when you cook or clean, cover yourself with a cute apron. There are so many apron sites, it's a little overwhelming. (I have a list of my faves on the sidebar!) Just as I require my children to wear school uniforms at home to simplify our lives, our laundry, and visually focus their minds on the task at home (school!), so we homemakers can put on our aprons and visually focus on the tasks at our hands: making our homes.

4. I can purpose to look fresh. I can stay showered, powdered, mouth-washed, and combed. I don't wear makeup most of the time- - If I wear it at home, my husband will ask me what on earth is on my face! But there is still so much I CAN do to make myself pretty and clean and a blessing. Eye crusties, dried drool and bad breath do nothing for attaining closeness with your hubby and children. They do nothing for showing the world that homemaking, homeschooling moms are the most blessed in the whole wide world! I must make an effort. I must NEVER cry "There's no time!" There is always time. Honestly...the whole process of "getting pretty" takes me five minutes, which is about as much time as I spend watching the coffee pot brew every morning before my brain wakes up.

5. Still in your pajama bottoms? Gnarled hair? Shiny skin? There's at least one thing you must make time for: A smile. All the smart clothes and coiffed do's and layers of mascara in the world won't make up for the classic "sour lemon face" that so many busy moms wear. Do you love your children? Your husband? Do you REALLY feel blessed to be at home? Then smile about it. It's the surest way to go from frumping to blessing in no time at all.


Don't think you have the time to "get dressed"? You know what I'm going to say: Pray about it. Create a plan. Put it in your schedule. Make it happen. Be a blessing to your family. It will affect your heart, too, in a glorious way.

Are you going to participate in the Sarah Mae's "Get Dressed" challenge? Tell us about it and make sure and sign up on her blog.




Photobucket

2 comments:

Mrs. Dan said...

OUCH. Okay, okay, I'm going, I'm going.

Susan said...

What a great blog, I've enjoyed my journey through your page. Thank you for letting me visit.
Susan
http://amazingcouponanddiscountdeals.blogspot.com