Thursday, March 17, 2011

Greens for a Green-kind-of-Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Aside from our annual crock-pot full of corned beef and cabbage, I had intended on serving up a little ice cream with green sprinkles for my children's dessert tonight. Unfortunately, we're battling colds here so we're going to skip the dairy for a few days. (I'm thinking I'll do a little green jell-o in it's place...an inexpensive but very rare dessert around here.)

Then I came across this delicious-looking mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe -- and because it comes from Jessica Seinfeld's Double Delicious, you know the green color's not from a little bottle of food coloring. Nope, Jessica is the queen of sneaking powerful nutrition into your kiddo's favorite dishes through hidden veggie pure├ęs.

Photo courtesy of lilsugar.com
Check out the secret ingredient in this tasty treat: Spinach!


Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
From Jessica Seinfeld's Double Delicious
  Ingredients
1/2 cup spinach puree
1/4 teaspoon pure mint extract
3 cups nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Directions
1. Place the spinach puree and mint extract in a mini-chopper and puree until very smooth.
2. In a medium bowl, stir the spinach mixture, yogurt, confectioners' sugar and chocolate chips. Freeze in an airtight container at least 2 hours until solid.

Serves 12

Once we're cleared for dairy, I'm going to try to modify this recipe for my Kitchen-Aid ice cream maker, and I'll let you know how it goes!


Photobucket

No comments: